Thursday, January 8, 2009

Go Forth




Up at 10am. This is the earliest I've been awake by 2 hours (after having slept the previous night) in at least 1 1/2 weeks. Am I proud of this? Not really. I am feeling in my element, though.

I haven't been paying attention to any current events. This is probably a bad thing. All that I see in Gaza is terror ("terror" in the traditional sense) and I have no understanding of the actual context, of what is happening on the ground. I remember back to sophomore year of college (jesus, 2002) and using the analogy that Israel is like an artificial organ that the body (the greater region) was rejecting. There is really no way to eliminate Israel completely, given it's political protection by the West and because at this point multiple generations have called it home. The question, instead, is how to find harmony. It's a pretty shallow statement, from my end. Part of me feels guilt for not understanding the situation better (please pass along any relevant readings, if you like), but another part of me thinks that being over-involved in this topic plays into much of the propaganda placing this conflict high above other conflicts that equally deserve my mental space. The conversation, not the opinion, is what elevates the issue.

Not long ago, there was a time when I would have had a stronger opinion on this issue. I think that getting older and truly knowing that I know little about the issue has made me pause more before giving a strong opinion. I hope that this is not a bad overall tendency.

School will get me back into current events. Being forced in front of a laptop for another 14 hours per day in libraries will give me the idle ammo to read up on everything.

Great blog that I just started following: electronic artist Filastine's amazing journeys and perspective. (Great DJ, by the way.)

No comments: